Saturday, July 21, 2012

Chocolate Chili Popcorn




Not a single picture I attempted to take of this recipe came close to showing just how awesome it actually tasted.  I promise you, if you like popcorn, chocolate and anything spicy, you will love this.
I'm not even that huge a fan of chocolate, minus the occasional craving or two, but I could not stop eating this - the combo was so absolutely delicious I want to make some more right now!!


What You'll Need:
Popcorn 
Chocolate
Sugar
Hot Sauce - your choice. I did some Bhut Jolokia and some crushed home grown Thai chili peppers.


Your Directions To Greatness:

 So initially, I opted to go with a bag of microwave popcorn. Either my microwave sucks, or the entire box of popcorn is bunk because I wasn't getting a full bag of popped popcorn. By the third bag in, I gave up and threw the kernels in a pot with some olive oil and was totally entertained watching it pop. I know this may be weird, but I have never popped popcorn this way. Ever. Pretty damn cool. 

While your popcorn is popping, you can begin working on the next step.  How much sugar, chili and chocolate you  use is up to you. For the chocolate, I used Wiltons Chocolate Candy Melts, about 1/2 the bag. You can use any chocolate really, like the little chocolate chips you bake in cookies.  Melt in the microwave at 30 second intervals and don't forget to stir. 


Mix your sugar and chili together until completely blended. Taste it... not spicy enough, add more. Too spicy, then you're SOL... I suppose add more sugar. I actually ended up adding far more (the Bhut Jolokia) than what I have shown in the image above (crushed Thai peppers).







By now your microwave should be calling you. Your chocolate is ready.  Pour it over the popcorn, mix well and then add the sugar/chili mix.





Here's what you get. A couple bites in, you should be able to taste the spice. If you don't, you're doing it wrong.
Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment