Sunday, July 29, 2012

Bacon and Corn Griddle Cakes



(Adapted from Recipe Girl)
Holy sweet bacon.  I stumbled upon this amazing recipe that is hands down my new favorite way of eating pancakes.  I'm really not much of a pancake fan (I prefer waffles) but I am now totally and completely sold on pancakes and I don't know that I could eat pancakes any other way after this.
These pancakes are filled with bacon and cheese and corn and are pure heaven. I even ate the leftovers cold as a snack and they were still awesome.


My first batch was a semi fail in that the batter was too runny.  The results were fine and edible, just thinner than I would have liked.  I also didn't follow the original recipe which was to make it from scratch, but rather I opted to use a box of pancake mix.  With my 2nd batch, I added an extra 1/2 cup or so of pancake mix which thickened it up perfectly.


Ingredients:
12 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion

4 stalks of scallions, sliced/chopped
Pancake mix - use the waffle directions (egg, oil, water)
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1 cup frozen, canned or fresh corn
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Pepper

Maple syrup, for serving


Directions:

  • I used thick center cut bacon. Cut them into 1/2 inch pieces and cook them over medium head until they start to brown.  Throw in the onion and scallions and continue to cook until the bacon is crispy and the onions and scallions are soft.  
  • See the picture up at the top? Scoop out that much bacon and some of the onion/scallion mix - this is going to be your topping later, so set it aside. In fact, if you're going to make several stacks, scoop out enough so that everyone has some topping, and of course up the amount of bacon if 12 isn't enough.  The original recipe called for 8 slices. I upped this because 8 wasn't enough for me. I started with 8 and after pulling out the reserve bacon topping, I felt what was left wasn't enough for the batter, so I cooked up some more. 
  • While the bacon and onions are cooking, mix up your pancake mix in a medium bowl.  Remember to use the waffle method, which calls for water, oil, and an egg. I used Hungry Jack Complete Extra Light & Fluffy Pancake & Waffle Mix:  2 1/2 cups of mix, 1 1/4 cups of water, 1/4 cup of oil and 1 egg.
  • Stir in the rest of the bacon mixture, corn, and cheese. Your mixture should be thick. If not, add more pancake mix. If you'd prefer them thinner, add a little milk.
  • Heat the skillet and spray a little nonstick spray in the pan. Pour about 1/4 of a cup of the batter onto the pan and cook until its golden brown. Flip and repeat on the other side.  Repeat with the remaining batter.
  • Serve stacks with the reserve bacon/onion mix and some maple syrup to top it off.



No comments:

Post a Comment