Thursday, August 9, 2012

Wonton Pizza Crisps



(Original recipe can be found at Wendy See Wendy Do)

Every time I buy wonton wrappers or egg roll wrappers, I'm left with a stack I have no idea what to do with. Today I decided to hunt down something new to try with the leftover wrappers versus letting them sit for months and get freezer burn and then I'd have to toss them. I found countless recipes for rolls and dumplings of all kinds - basically the standard. THEN, I came upon this greatness.  These little crispy squares were the perfect dinner snack for my 5 year old and I.  Made up and on the table in approximately 10 minutes total, we spent the rest of the evening playing Batman Lego 2 and munching on them. These are definitely a keeper and I can see changing them up in different ways to make other kinds of mini pizzas chips, which, they totally were like a chip.

What You Will Need:

  • 12 Wontons wrappers  (if frozen, just microwave for 20 seconds to thaw)
  • 12 Slices of Pepperon
  • Mozzarella Cheese - shredded
  • Italian Herb Seasoning
  • Nonstick Cooking Spray
  • A baking sheet

What To Do:
  • Crank that oven up on 375.
  • Spray some non stick cooking spray to cover the base.
  • Lay your 12 wrappers - 4 per row - making sure they don't touch each other.
  • Spray the wrappers
  • Sprinkle the cheese.
  • Sprinkle the seasoning.
  • Top it off with a pepperoni slice and pop it in the oven.
  • Bake for 6-8 minutes.  




Here is where I'd say it depends on your oven. I initially did 8 minutes which toasted them pretty quickly, turning them brown. Not burnt tasting though, but not fancy pretty either.  I did another batch and this time I let them go for 6 minutes, checking the cheese melting process and getting what I had hoped for. The brown ones didn't go to waste at all, I just alternated them with the lighter colored ones when I stacked and served.


How easy was that?! 5 year old approved. Dinner done in a jiffy. Cleanup minimal. Playtime abundant. Happy and full.  This was a good, easy night. Mom approved.







2 comments:

  1. Great idea!! :-) I never know what to do with wonton wrappers either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... I want these NOW! Totally buying wonton wrappers next grocery shop. I always see them and I often throw them in the cart, walk around, then end up taking them out because I have no idea what to do with them. I knew they had potential!!

    ReplyDelete